Patrick D. Wilson
A Jacksonville native, Patrick Wilson has a practice centered around construction, banking, contract matters and other commercial disputes, and he also assists clients in the defense of general negligence, real estate and other litigated disputes. Through his construction practice, Wilson assists owners, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, material suppliers and homeowners with lien issues, contract disputes, alleged negligence in the construction of buildings and homes, securing payment on projects and other related issues.
Wilson regularly assists large and small material suppliers and professionals with filing and foreclosing on materialmen’s liens, and represents owners of construction projects and contractors in attempting to defeat lien claims. Wilson has received a BV® Distinguished™ Peer Review Rating through Martindale-Hubbell, www.martindale.com/rating.
Wilson’s recent experience includes:
- Successful representation of Arkansas road contractor Blackstone Construction in a matter before the Arkansas Claims Commission. The matter involved the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department. Blackstone made a claim for a price adjustment on a job, which claim was based on errors in the AHTD’s plans. Blackstone prevailed before the Claims Commission and a couple of legislative committees whose approval is required for the award to be paid to Blackstone.
- Successful representation of large general contractor Brasfield & Gorrie in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association. A steel subcontractor sought damages for alleged extra work. Brasfield & Gorrie counterclaimed for the amount it had to pay another steel subcontractor to finish the work. The arbitrator awarded Brasfield & Gorrie judgment on the subcontractor’s claim and the full amount of its counterclaim, plus interest, costs, and attorney’s fees.
- Representation of a steel manufacturer in large arbitration before American Arbitration Association. Contractor claimed damages of over $1 million for breach of contract and conversion. Arbitrator awarded approximately $200,000, an amount our client stipulated was owed.
- Defense of Nabholz Construction in significant construction accident case.
- Defense of Otis Elevator Company in multi-party construction defect / negligence case involving building subsidence due to unknown subsurface condition.
- Presentations to Arkansas community bank boards of directors on ability-to-repay/qualified mortgage regulations.
- Defense of an engineering company in a case involving property in a floodplain.
- Recurring work for material suppliers in filing and foreclosing materialmen’s lien claims.
- Trial counsel for a real estate firm in successful defense of materialmen’s lien claim.
A graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel’s 2006 Trial Academy, Wilson is a member of the Arkansas chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors and the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Arkansas Bar Association, the Pulaski County Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, and the Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel. He previously served in the Arkansas Bar Association’s House of Delegates and as Chair of the Association’s Young Lawyers Section.
Wilson frequently speaks at continuing education seminars on construction liens and other construction-related topics.
- Member, Riverfest Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Fundraiser, American Heart Association Heart Walk (1999-present)
- Volunteer, Young Lawyers Section-Law Day (2002-2009)
- Member, Leadership Greater Little Rock Class XX (2004-2005)
- President, Arkansas Law Review, Inc. (2006-2014)
- President, Catholic High School Foundation Board of Trustees (2009-2010)
- Co-Chair, Catholic High School Capital Campaign